Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Star Is Born!

Hey Science Friends,
I was busy making a Mind Jar for my classroom. During this process of trial and error with recipes, I discovered that the little Mind Jar was so mesmerizing and captivating that I had a hard time putting it down. I knew if I couldn't put it down then I would probably have a problem with the kids. I was originally was going to use this as a tool to provide a child with a Brain Break when he or she is acting inappropriately. After I experimented with it for quite some time, I realized this plan would never work so a star was born...My Star Gazing Jar. If you would like to make your own click on the image below.


I loved My Star Gazing Jar so much that I wanted to put this in my Science Center. I found a recycled basket, some Science books, a reading pointer and put my Star Jar into the basket. I loved the idea so much and I remembered that I had seen a great post about Galaxy Playdough and I thought it would go well with the contents of the basket. My new addition to my Star Gazing Science Basket just had to be a batch of Galaxy Playough by Fairy Dust Teaching. If you would like to make your own Galaxy Glitter Dough just follow along because it could not be any easier!

What you will need:
2 cups of plain flour
2 cups of water with black and blue food coloring
1 Tbsp. of cooking oil
1 Tbsp. cream of tartar
1 cup of salt
INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix liquid ingredients in a large pan. (FYI: I found black food coloring in a large size at Big Lots - so I added the entire bottle! I added a small bottle of blue food coloring. It made the dough so deep and rich!) Begin to heat liquids.
In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. Add to the heating liquids. Stir until the dough gathers and thickens. Cook until it gets that sheen to it. Let it cool slightly and then knead to bring proper consistency. Store in plastic container.
Now you are ready to get out there and explore, create and discover!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!! I am your newest follower!! I would love to have you stop by my blog when you get some time.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    When do you put the glitter into the galaxy glitter dough?
    Thanks!
    Looks like fun!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Pin It button on image hover