Sunday, March 31, 2013

Feeling Froggy!


 
Hey Science Friends,
We are feeling a little froggy lately. We can't help it. We just can't! After investigating pond water and school water we just could not resist talking about frogs. We just love them. I found this picture on Sense of Wonder and it just made me want to make a light table for some fun investigations. My mind keeps coming up with all the wonderful investigative ideas we could do with a light investigation table. It is on my spring "to do" list for sure.
 
I was able to find these plastic life cycle models for my classroom on Amazon for a pretty decent price. These would go well on a light table or in a water table for some fun investigations. And if you are near a Dollar Tree they have plastic colored frogs and bags of rocks that would work well in a water table. I know my kids would love those too because we now know frogs are not always green!
 
 
We naturally were curious about the life cycle of frogs since we are working on some writing research in Language Arts and many children decided on the topic of frogs after we did some pond investigations about water clarity! So I created this for my class to help with their research writing that we are still working on.
 

A few water samples from around town and we are well on our way to observing and describing natural sources of water. And I knew just a soon as we were well on our way to taking a real close look at pond water that it would make us just want to know more about ponds and the life we see living inside a pond. So, I headed to my go-to place for books...Amazon!
  
 
Life in the Pond is one of the best books that I have found and it is perfect for some pond research for a budding scientist.  
 
 
I am waiting on the arrival of Pond Circle. I was drawn to this book because a young girl investigates a simple backyard pond and discovers a world of activity!
 
 
Turtle Splash is a new favorite of mine because it is a pond countdown book and it is a wonderful book to use with Number Talks in Kindergarten. This book really inspired us and made us want to create some pond counting books of our own. So, we are working on that this coming week. 
 
 
I am waiting on Pond Babies to arrive. I am a huge fan of Cathryn Falwell books so I had to add this to our collection. I love the theme of exploring the natural world that this book portrays. You know there is a scientist in all of us as we explore, discover and investigate the world around us. So, if you are looking around for some books you might want to consider Scoot by Cathryn Falwell too!
  
 
 And since we are looking at ponds you know we need to label one!
 
 
 
All my favorite Kindergarten teachers tell me A Frog Thing is a must have book. Who doesn't love frogs? And I just can't wait to read A Frog Thing... I am looking forward to ending the week with this inspiring book!
 
Hoppy Days Science Friends! 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Happy Easter. Love the light box. I can only imagine what fun that would be. Thinking of setting up a science table re: plants and insects. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the books you posted! I'm always looking for good science kids books, thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted to see that you are enjoying some of my books! The ice is about half out on Frog Song Pond, so I'm eagerly awaiting the peepers and frogs of Spring.
    My new book, "Rainbow Stew", will be out in a couple of weeks.

    Happy Reading!
    Cathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel WendlandtMay 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM

    I love the light box idea. It makes the idea of a pond look alive.
    Your blog has some great books to use in an elementary classroom.
    I am going to keep visiting your blog for more classroom ideas!
    You are great inspiration for future educators like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas for teaching about frogs! I am a future educator and so I am always looking for ideas that I can use in my future classroom. I am hoping to teach either kindergarten or first grade and so these ideas are perfect for me! I love how you were able to incorporate various stories for this topic. From my various classroom experiences, I have found that young learners love hearing stories and they are a great tool for accessing prior knowledge and fostering new knowledge. I also love how you used concrete examples in order to solidify the concept of the frog life-cycle. Lastly, I love how you have your students doing research in order to encourage inquiry. The worksheet is a great tool for students to record their observations. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Pin It button on image hover