Sunday, March 25, 2012

Setting Up Rock Investigations!

Setting up rock investigations has been super easy and quick. The children were able to take this on and work independently in no time at all.
Each Science Team worked well together and explored the properties of rocks. We were able to determine that our rock collection was missing some rocks for some of our categories. We now were on a rock hunt. We were able to find most of the rocks outside on the playground. Our rock collection and our playground rocks have given us a nice collection to explore and investigate. We sent home the rock parent letter to help us collect the rest of the rocks we need for our investigations.
We even noticed that rocks have shapes and sometimes more than one shape can be seen on the surface. All these up close investigations have led to some great notebooking and wonderful descriptive writing. We will keep you posted on what we discover.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Coe:

    I am just starting a similar investigation with my sixth graders. This really helped me focus my thinking...

    I'm glad that I found you and that I can now follow you!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to see the other disciplines represented on the blogs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this blog! The Science Fair is coming up!!!!!! Great ideas!!! sharon.washington96@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog...I've always shied away from science, but you're fun!!

    Jen
    jenerator_8@frontiernet.net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Pin It button on image hover